From season ticket holders to fans cheering from the couch to the athletes themselves, everyone loves the thrill of an incredible matchup. People will want to get involved, whether it’s a high school rivalry or a pro game.
Engaging sports fanatics is easier than ever, thanks to the help of unique QR codes.
How are QR codes used in sports?
You can use QR codes in the sporting world in a variety of ways, including offering direct links for fans to:
- Buy and sell tickets
- Pull up game streaming or live stats
- Connect to merch catalogs
- Use stadium services (ordering food, navigation, etc.)
- Download team apps and services
- Follow the individual players on social media
- Access promotional offers like distributing NFTs
- Upgrade to season tickets and access loyalty programs
And so much more. But the benefits aren’t just for the fans. You’ll be able to increase audience engagement while accessing in-depth metrics regarding your consumers.
How do you create a QR code for a game?
Generating a QR code for a sports event is easier than ever. First, you’ll need to build one with a dynamic QR code generator. For each unique code we recommend picking a destination like:
- Your website
- A unique online file
- A YouTube or Vimeo video
- Access to a Google Doc or form
- Your social media profiles (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat)
- The user’s messaging app to sign up for SMS promos
- The user’s email app to sign up for email promos
- Your WiFi connection
- An image
- Your Venmo account
Some QR code generators will allow you to customize the design of your QR code to match your brand packaging. Once you like how your code looks, you can download it as a PNG, JPG, or SVG and start using it!
Let’s take a look at some examples of how sports professionals are putting QR codes to work for them.
How do you use a QR code in sports marketing?
Let’s pretend you’re a sports marketer and want to incorporate QR codes into your team’s upcoming season. You can utilize QR codes in a couple of ways:
In your stadium. It’s one of the easiest ways to engage with fans. Whether they’re on jumbotrons of plastered on seats, QR codes can drive fans to unique digital experiences. Maybe it’s accessing a food menu or buying merch — it’s all about seamless connection.
Fan engagement. Everything is happening online now. Especially fan competitions and activities. Use QR codes to encourage fans to place bets or create a bracket for tournament-style competitions to generate buzz for the competition. Or you can have codes that take the fan to social media pages so they can share thoughts about the upcoming match. If you’re selling tickets to the event, you can use a QR code to take customers to the ticketing portal.
Contact Collection. Collecting contact information doesn’t need to be done with a pen and paper. Use QR codes to drive fans to pages where they can sign up to get more information about schedules, players, and everything related to team news.
How do sports teams use QR codes?
Sports teams have become increasingly innovative with how they use QR codes to drive fan engagement.
- UCF Football is pioneering using QR codes instead of player numbers on the backs of jerseys.
- Last season, the Buffalo Bills showcased a QR code on the TV screen during a game so fans at home could enter to win a free jersey signed by QB Josh Allen.
- The Knicks put up a QR code on their jumbotron to distribute NFTs to fans in the stadium.
As we said before, the possibilities are endless. See how Flowcode can revolutionize your sporting events.